Sunday 30 October 2011

Vintage steampunk

Good morning everyone!  I hope the extra hour today has gone to good use ( a nice relaxing lie in, works for me!).  More steampunk to show today.  This card was quite fun to make as it was actually my first bit of play with the Distress stains.  I stamped the locomotive on to cream card with a clear perfect medium pad and embossed in clear.  Then I used the vintage photo distress stain and went over the entire piece from edge to edge.  The train shows up as a resist this way.  I used a bit of black soot to distress the edges and then added four of our faux screw brads to the corners and mounted the piece on a black mat.  The background was made by distressing a piece of decorative paper by crumpling and slightly going over it with the vintage photo distress ink directly from the pad.  I added a few stamped gears and cogs to it too.  On the left side of the card, I added a strip of the cotton hemp ribbon.  First I stamped on it with the gears from Sam Poole's steampunk stamp set and I clear embossed them.  I used the vintage photo stain again and coloured the entire piece with it.  The gears show up as a resist here also.  I stamped the phrase also in perfect medium, embossed and used the stain once again to create another resist.  I added a few more faux screw brads to the sentiment.  The card was assembled and I included a few of the Tim Holtz gears and sprokets for texture on the card, matted it on a piece of black card to finish it off.  Surprise, no nesties this time, but I couldn't resist a little bit of ribbon!  A really fun and easy card to make that I'm sure the guy in your life would certainly enjoy!  All for now, Sue x

37 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this card. The resist shows up really well.I like the different colour intensity that the stain gives. Love, Julia xxx

Martina said...

Fantastic piece of art!

Clai01 said...

Really good card for a guy, especially, thanks for posting it!

marg said...

A nice masculine card..I love distressing but haven't tried it on fabric! More inspiration from you Sue! now to give it a try ... hope it is something like yours.
Love Marg

Hellma said...

Love this card, the image and the colors are stunning.

eileen.fj said...

Hi Sue
What a treat-another steampunk card. The resist technique really is a great effect. Love it!

Eileen x

Jenny L said...

Hi Sue
Really love this idea for a card. Veryyyyyyyyyy
nice. Lots of love Jenny L.

Lynn (delphinoid) said...

Fabulous Card! It's such a great masculine card.

I love the screw brads and I really like the sentiment you've used.

Happy Crafting!!! :) X X

Missmizog said...

Hi Sue
Another wonderful card. Love to faux screw brads.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Loved the card Sue

Great for all men young and old alike

Love
Vie Carter

LellyJelly said...

Another fab card, Sue.x

Mandy Makes and Mends said...

Funky card sue what a great bolke card .Mandy x

Maryann Laursen said...

This card is just absolutely amazing. Love this image and the distressing here a lot. Have to give that a try too soon.
Have a wonderful sunday hun.

lilygee said...

Makes a really nice man's card - I'd like to try this but not sure without actually seeing it demoed - hope you will sometime Sue - it's great that you're encouraging people to try new styles - these cards create a lot of interest and attention because they are different. xx
lilygee

KimberleyG said...

Nice card! I'm not a steampunk fan, but I do love gears. I like the way you used them.

dutchess said...

Another stunner Sue....this one is just up my street as my brother in law is a train nut and I am really keen to get to grips with these men cards!!!! I usually cop out and buy one will you be at the NEC? hope your weekend was good take care Margaret

Lynne said...

Simple but so effective - love it.
Best wishes
Lynne in Spain

Anonymous said...

I love this card Sue thanks for sharing, another one for me to try.
Heather

PaulineC said...

This resist technique is very effective. Whole card looks great.

Anonymous said...

This card would be great for my uncle, he loves his steampunk. A real masculine card.

Sue C

Rhonda Miller said...

Oh, I really like this one. What a great train image.

Uta said...

Wow, this card is so great. I love the screws on it and the image is so fantastic.

Hugs, Uta

Fiona said...

Great to have some inspiration for a male card - they're always more difficult

Barbara Phillips said...

Loving the Steampunk cards. The train stamp is fab!!!

Lindyloo said...

A true opposite to girly, girly. Masculine but not 'heavy' with it. Attractive, almost pretty and I love it, thank you Sue
Have a good week all.
Regards Linda

Rufus said...

My dad would love this! He loves trains...vintage trains of course!
R/

Anonymous said...

Beautiful - love the train. Regards, Anne Rx

Janet said...

love that one Sue - different but equally as inspirational

kasugga said...

I love this one, there are too few cards for men - particularly when you have a lot of men in your family and friends.

Jackie D said...

Most interesting card Sue, so many bits to it but they come together so well. Will have to give the distressing and resisting a go

Lorraine said...

wow this is awesome i so need this set xx

julie laz said...

wow love it, sue some thing for the man nice hugs julie.x
julie.lazenby@ymail.com

Sandra Riley said...

Thanks for all of this fabulous Steampunk inspiration Sue, Sam Poole's Steampunk stamps are brilliant!
Thanks again
Sandra Riley

Crafty Loops said...

I LOVE this card. If its vintage or steampunk, its right up my street. Or should that be railway?? lol. Fantastic card. Lee x

Carole Z said...

I'm not really into steampunk, but I really do like the ones you have posted, so thank you for that Sue...you have given some inspiration to a really 'girly' card maker, who has to make some cards for men!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the Male inspiration, I just cant do mens cards, so this gives me ideas, loving the steampunk xx

Unknown said...

Love the way you have resist embossed the train, my favourite technique. The colours are terrific. Maddy x