Sunday 8 March 2020

Happy Birthday

Good Sunday morning all!  Today would have been my Dad's 100th birthday (he passed away at 91)  He liked these simple sort of birthday cards, so I thought it was appropriate to share it with you today.  I started with the Flourish Border 3D embossing folder and embossed a piece of coconut white card.  Next I cut the Noble Happy Birthday out of white card.  I sponge colour on to each of the letters to make it multi coloured.  I used post it notes to mask off the letters as I went.  I used Sailboat Blue, Carved Pumpkin, Worn Lipstick, Twisted Citron and Seedless Preserves Distress Oxide Inks.  Next I cut two of the balloons from the Dotty Balloons die set and two of the "strings" in white.  I used Carved Pumpkin and Worn Lipstick on the balloons to colour them to match the sentiment and added the white strings on to them.  I added the balloons with mounting foam and then glued the words in place and tucked the tails under the "y" in Birthday.  The card was completed with white mats and layers.  The finished dimensions are 7"  x   8 1/2" in size.

And, in keeping with tradition, I am reprinting the column of Life's Lessons as I do every year on my Dad's Birthday!  In case you are new to the blog, my Dad did not write this column, but he sent it to me years ago and I have always loved it and it reminds me of my Dad so it is very near and dear to my heart.

Here goes:

: 1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good. 2. When in doubt, just take the next small step. 3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. 4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch. 5. Pay off your credit cards every month. 6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree. 7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone. 8. It's OK to get angry   9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck. 10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile. 11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present. 12. It's OK to let your children see you cry. 13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about. 14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it. 15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. 16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind. 17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful. 18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger. 19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else. 20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer. 21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special. 22. Over prepare, then go with the flow. 23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple. 24. The most important sex organ is the brain. 25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you. 26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this matter?' 27. Always choose life. 28. Forgive everyone everything. 29. What other people think of you is none of your business. 30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time. 31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change. 32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does. 33. Believe in miracles. 34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do. 35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now. 36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young. 37. Your children get only one childhood. 38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved. 39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere. 40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's,we'd grab ours back. 41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need. 42. The best is yet to come.. 43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up. 44. Yield. 45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift."  Friends are the family that we choose for ourselves  I think that we all need to take a few moments every day and be grateful and appreciative of what we have.

I love you Dad!

All for now, Sue x





                                                        Follow my blog with Bloglovin

56 comments:

Princess Pixie! said...

Hi Sue
A wonderful card that would be suitable for anyone I think. The colours are gorgeous but could be changed to match anyone’s favourite colour and even a mans favourite football team. I love your Dotty Balloons and have them in my sights as my next gift - be that from me to me or when someone asks if there is anything I’d like. You never know what Mother’s Day might have in store!
I do think we can all learn a thing or two from these life lessons. Every time I read them it gives me much food for thought. Thank you again for the reminder Sue x
Happy Sunday one and all
Crafty hugs
PP
Yvonne x

Vi Wilkinson said...

Hi Sue, what a lovely colourful simple card. I so agree withy those life lessons , they are so true. The last bit brought a tear to my eyes where you put I love you dad soundS like you had a wonderful father. Take care Vi.X

Steph Cotterill said...

How I love to read through the life's lessons and I choose a different one each year to try and follow until the next year, sometimes I can keep to my chosen lesson and some days I find it a little difficult, there are many I love but 31 is one that stands out every day for one reason or another along with my 'chosen lesson'
I too love the clean and simple style they just catch my eye and make me smile, the balloon dies were a gift and I love how many times I can use them in so many different ways which makes them worth every penny and keeps 'my keeper' happy the Noble Happy Birthday was also a gift and look fantastic however I use them so you can see 'my keepers' smile from space lol. I love this sample its perfect to commemerate this day xxx

kittyedavies47@gmail.com said...

Morning Sue.
Thank you, another very lovely card.
Thank you once again for sharing Lifes Lessons.
Take care and have fun, I know it is a remembering day, Kitty.

Clai01 said...

Thanks Sue as always for sharing x

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, love the card this morning. A great card for anyone to receive. Thanks for sharing the life lessons again. It is so inspiring to be reminded of them.

Barbara V

Marion Scott said...

Hello Sue, a lovely clean and simple card suitable for anyone. How lovely to once again read through the Life Lessons, thank you for sharing these with us.

carol edwards said...

Hello Sue, beautiful card, simple but lovely. Hard to believe it's so long since your dad's passed. The life lessons remind us to enjoy each day. I'll leave you with your happy memories of your dear father.xx

Barbara Gosden said...

Hi Sue
A beautiful card. And great to be reminded of life’s lessons.
B xx

June Smith said...

Morning Sue and all Wilsonettes, a beautiful card especially for your Dad, he is still so very proud of you and what you have achieved even though he is not here in person to tell you himself, but know that he is still watching over you and sending down lots of love and kisses.

The 'Life's Lessons' deserves it's place on the blog every year, thank you for reminding us.

Stay safe, healthy and happy, hugs, June Smith xxx

NannaShaz said...

Morning Sue and all the Wilsonettes
Happy Heavenly birthday to your dad Sue,he is watching you with pride and joy always. Lovely to read Life's lessons it is beautiful.

What a gorgeous card beautiful colours and could be for anyone.

Sending love and healing hugs to all that need them xx

Have a good day all
Love
Sharon MK
XX

Marie P. from Longridge said...

Good Morning Sue and all.
Today's card is beautiful and I love the colours you have chosen.

Reading Life's Lessons is quite humbling isn't it? I had a tear in my eye at the end and I haven't cried since 2003 when my youngest Son was killed in a car accident at 44 years old.
I cried enough then to fill a reservoir and promised myself I would never cry again.
Have a reminiscing day
Marie P.

CraftyCoffey said...

Gorgeous card-clean & simple but stunning.

Always good to read Life’s lessons again.

Michele

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue- a very clean and simple card but so effective. Love reading your dad's Life's Lessons each year, it is a great reminder and so meaningful. Thinking of you today and sending very best wishes.
YvonneMayxx

KarinsArtScrap said...

cheerful and beautiful card Sue
Gr Karin

Crewe Trish said...

Hello Sue
A lovely special card for a special man. Every year I read your life lessons and they bring a tear to my eyes. Yvonne great to see you back

dj from kettering said...



Love the card; it doesn't seem like a year
since the Life Lessons were on!!!



Doreen x

Ann Topp said...

Good Morning Sue. A beautiful card today Sue. And I am sure your Dad would have loved to receive this...along with any other card you made " especially for him ". I think the balloons will have to go on my list too...I have seen some gorgeous cards recently made using them. Thankyou for sharing Lifes Lessons with us again. What a lovely legacy he left for you. And a wonderful personal thing to share with us each year. Sending hugs and best wishes to everyone who needs them this morning. Kind regards Ann Toppcards Leeds.

Netty The Runner said...

Lovely card Sue. Thank you for sharing Life’s Lessons.
Annette x

karenlotty said...

Fantastic card and know that your dad would love it To be reminded of Life’s Lessons is a lovely way to remember your dad along with the happy times
Take care xx

Anonymous said...

Simple, yet elegant card befitting of the occasion. I always love reading the life lessons given to you by your Dad. WakeyLx

jean.phillips1 said...

Morning Sue, beautiful card for a beautiful Dad! Love reading Life’s Lessons every year! Big hugs to you. Love Jean xxx

gwen70 said...

Beautiful card, love reading lessons in life every year xx

Rose in Chester said...

Lovely card Sue, and thank you for sharing the Life's Lessons with us. I love reading them every year, and they always get sent on to my friends.
Thinking of you Sue.
Hugs
Rose

Lisbeth said...

Hi Sue. I always read Life's Lessons and I think we can all learn from them.
What a really simple card today, great for those men who do not always like too much detail on their cards.

Lisbeth

lydia jordan said...

Morning Sue,
Lovely card, thanks for the reminder about Life's Lessons.
Lydia
X

hazel young said...

Gorgeous card Sue. Love your dad's life lessons xx Hazel

zoemo said...

Hi Sue

Sounds like your father was a loving and wise man, here’s to him looking down on you with love and more than a little pride. I lost my grandmother a few years ago at the age of 94 and while I miss her I’m no longer sad as I feel blessed to have had her in my life for so long and cherish the wonderful memories. Your dad is so right, life really is a gift.
Zoe in Pencoed xx

p.s. card is lovely too!

BridgetCG said...

Hello Sue, thank you again for sharing these Life's lessons, so glad your Dad shared them with you. I hope that although sad, that you sit and cherish the memories made with your Dad. You card is simply lovely. Have a good day all. Bx

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these life lessons we need to remember them
Gentle hugs
Elizabeth Bennett

Pat L said...

Hi Sue
A beautiful clean and simple card for a special man and thank you for sharing Life’s lessons with us

Love and hugs to everyone
Pat

Yorkie girl said...

Hi Sue.
You always make me smile with your blog your cards are always inspire
The Life’s Lessons so so deserve to be seen and read
I send you my best wishes and may today just be a day of happy memories of your dad
Hugs Theresa G

June Horrocks said...

Thank you sue love your life lessons your dad must have been a very special gentleman love to read them
Love always
June horrocks xxxxxxx

Fluffycat said...

Hi Sue, a really lovely CAS card suitable for anyone and one that I am sure your dad would approve of. Thanks for the reminder of the life lessons, it is always good to read them.

Frances

theresa w said...

Hi Sue and lovely wilsonettes x
Fantastic card for your dad Sue x thankyou for sharing the life lessons again , I love reading them x sending you a big hug x
Theresa w in Berks xxx

Suzzette Yandle said...

A colorful and meaningful birthday card for your Dad who would have been 100 years old. You're Dad would have loved this card, especially because you made it for him. I know it seems like yesterday when your Dad died. Some heartfelt memories seem to linger in our thoughts. Your Dad was a wise man with offering you this Life's Lessons message. One year I printed his message from your blog and have it near my computer and read it often. He would be so proud of you to see how you have traveled through life and how you have inspired so many with your crafting.

America said...

Love the happy design with its clean, crisp, colorful look & so much texture! :)

Deb E Isle of Wight said...

Love the post, again in its simplicity and the Life's Lessons are words of wisdom that are a welcome reminder.

deniseann said...

Hi Sue, I read Life's Lessons every year and every time I cry. How true each one is.
Thanks for the timely reminder. Denise

Eunice Astle said...

Beautiful card Sue. The Life's Lessons are something that makes me think about my special one also.

Valerija said...

So sweet!!
Valerija xx

Jackie Durrant said...

A lovely card to go with the words of wisdom in the lessons xx

Scottydog said...

Thank you Sue for sharing Life’s Lessons again, it’s something we need to be reminded of. You obviously had a very wise father & I’m sure you have so many happy memories to remember especially today. I’m sure your father will love this card & as I am also a fan of CAS cards I will also enjoy it on my birthday today. Thank you Sue for your beautiful cards, I’m sure you do your Dad proud.

Judy Hollers said...

Thinking of you as you remember your Dad with this colorful Happy Birthday card and the Life Lessons annual post. I love reading these Life Lessons. Thank you. Hugs!

Snuffy Snoo said...

Hi Sue
A great card!...your Dad would love it!!! Happy Birthday to your dear Dad!! I always love it when you post Life’s Lessons...it doesn’t hurt any of us to be reminded of them!!
Much love
Sam
xxxx

DeCor said...

I like the frame and the contrast of the simplicity of the balloons. A really versatile birthday card. great.

Crafty Cruiser said...

A really lovely card with this beautiful frame. Each year I read through the Life’s Lessons. All so true. I think we owe it to ourselves to follow these and also to live for today.
Doreen R

Lynne L said...

Hi Sue Another l8vely clean and simple card I love the colourful noble Happy Birthday Thank you for giving us another opportunity to read lifes lessons

Colleen said...

Such a lovely card for male or female; young or old.
Enjoyed readying Life's Lessons.
I printed it out and will frame it and hang on my kitchen wall.
Live for today as you never know what tomorrow may bring us.
Thank You

Betty McAlister said...

A lovely card Sue and very versatile.
I do love reading your Life Lessons every year. They remind us to cherish every day and be grateful for what we already have.
Thank you xx

Muriel said...

Hello Sue and all
Another fabulous balloon card, one of my favourite ever sets, just so useful and always makes a lovely colourful card.
I can’t believe it is already a year since we last saw Life Lessons, how time flies and how good it is to see them again.
Hugs
Muriel x

lindyloo12Somerset said...

A nice simplistic looking card that would suit anyone! Sue I am sure your dad will know you have been thinking about him, and I am even more sure that he would be super proud of his very clever daughter!

Anonymous said...

Hello Sue
The Balloon set really is a great die and as you have shown with your samples can be used
in so many different ways.
I too enjoy reading your Father’s Life Lessons every year, all 45 still so true.
Thinking of you.
Lesley S xx

ursula said...

I love to read that year after year Sue, you are in my thoughts and prayers....beautiful simple card here, love the balloons....the set I won...luv Ursula xx

CCM said...

A beautiful card to brighten everyone's day!Thank you for reminding us of these very important lessons of life, so inspiring and so true and nice way to remember your father.

Hugs from Toronto to you all,
Carmen-Dorothy

Fikreta said...

so great card!